Ohio’s Electric Cooperatives rewarded eight high school seniors for exceptional academic achievement in the Louise Freeland Scholarship competition, held February 26.
Named in honor of a long-time employee of Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives, the Louise Freeland Scholarships are awarded annually to the children of electric cooperative employees and trustees. A panel of independent judges reviewed the applications and interviewed the students before determining the winners.
Shaeley Warner, Nolan Newman, Jacob Nicol, and Mikayla Snavely were awarded $2,850 Freeland scholarships.
- Warner is a senior at Utica High School. Her father, Brad, works at The Energy Cooperative.
- Newman is a senior at North Adams High School. His father, Charles, is a trustee for Adams Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Nicol is a senior at Fairbanks High School. His father, Martin, works at Union Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Snavely is a senior at Seneca East High School. Her father, Rodney, is a trustee for North Central Electric Cooperative.
Myah Rose, Mason Ortiz, Ethan Browning, and Jacob Zarnosky received $1,050 Freeland scholarships.
- Rose is a senior at Marysville Early College High School. Her father, Mike, works at Union Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Ortiz is a senior at William V. Fisher Catholic High School. His father, Christopher, works at South Central Power Company.
- Browning is a senior at River Valley High School. His father, Joseph, works at Buckeye Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Zarnosky is a senior at Indian Lake High School. His father, Matthew, works at Union Rural Electric Cooperative.